The business started as a sawmill by Stanley Dawe and a partner in the Riverside Drive location in 1947. The partner left the business shortly after and over the years Stanley’s four sons joined the business. As the sons joined, the business expanded to include general building supplies and a retail store. In the 1960’s, a store was added in downtown Corner Brook and by the 1980’s, four more stores were added with as many as 14 family members active in the business at one time. The four sons developed the business to be a significant retail operation. The third generation family members entered management in the 1990’s the stores became more modernized. By 2012, the modernization was up to date and a third generation assumed the role as president of the company.
Today, Stan Dawe Limited operates five retail locations in central and western Newfoundland with 60 employees, 150,000 square feet of retail and warehouse space and 12 delivery trucks.